Suggest treatment for fatty liver

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I had an ultrasound today, apparently looking for kidney stones, none found but my liver is fatty.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fatty changes at your age may be expected

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
It appears that you do not have any kidney stones and the pain or discomfort you experienced is most likely due to a stomach flu. Please take antibiotics course completely so that the bacteria are killed.

Fatty liver is a commonly seen condition in the population at your age. It is further classified as mild, moderate or severe fatty changes in liver. While at an younger age a fatty liver can be due to increased alcohol consumption or disease, at your age it may be seen due to aging or increased cholesterol numbers. Being overweight also predisposes to fatty liver. I suggest you discuss the grade of fatty changes in the liver and get lipid profile (cholesterol numbers) testing done.

Should you be having a high alcohol intake then you may have to control it. If not then non alcoholic fatty liver may be considered.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 7 minutes later
I am overweight, but i dont consume alcohol at all i had pain on my left side so severe that i went to emergency, radiating from my navel to my side, i had difficulty in standing, no diahorrea, no vomiting, some sort of attack it felt like. I have elevated cholestrol, blood pressure normal, blood present in urine. Bowel movements can be from normal to very runny, pain before opening bowels, doesnt go away till ive finished. Not much warning either.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood in urine needs further investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

Blood present in urine is not normal and I suggest you have a talk on this with your doctor. You may need further testing to know the source of blood in urine and any underlying medical conditions.

Being overweight appears to be the most probable reason for your liver showing fatty changes. Since you report visiting the ER and getting an ultrasound scan showing only fatty changes in liver, I suppose there is no underlying serious surgical condition causing your pain. Having soft home cooked foods for a few days may regularize your bowel movements. Some patients also require stool softeners to be taken for a few weeks under medical supervision.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek