Suggest treatment for fatty liver disease in an elderly person
About the right upper quadrant pain:
If you have elevated liver enzymes, it is very likely that pain on the upper right side after drinking alcohol could be due to increased inflammation in your liver. High liver enzymes means that your liver is already a bit inflamed. The liver is responsible for breaking down alcohol, and in high enough amounts, it is toxic and inflammatory to the liver. As your liver has some fatty replacement (I don't know how much) and some inflammation (elevated enzymes), consuming alcohol is that much harder on the liver and may be more inflamed as a result.
I am not sure what the mechanism is for having this pain after drinking cold drinks. Sudden cold can cause some muscle spasm but I would not expect it to cause the exact same kind of pain as with drinking alcohol.
Regarding gall bladder pain
Yes, it is possible that it is your gall bladder. The gall bladder produces pain when there is an obstruction preventing the bile to flow thru. (Also when there is an infection, but then symptoms are more likely to be continuous plus fever.) If your stones have either grown larger, or have caused an obstruction, then they would likely cause pain. But usually the pain happens after a meal with a higher oil or fat content when the gall bladder is trying to release stored bile. An ultrasound can help show what is going on with the gall bladder.
But it is not uncommon for alcohol to cause liver pain when the liver already has some stress or inflammation. A repeat of the liver enzyme tests can give some indication of this.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Medicine for fatty liver disease
- Hcg and fatty liver disease
- Fatty liver disease and dizziness
- Metformin and fatty liver disease
- Fatty liver disease eyesight
- Fabry fatty liver disease
- Herb for fatty liver disease
- Fatty liver disease
- Cymbalta and fatty liver disease
- Alcoholic fatty liver disease treatment
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis