Suggest treatment for fatigue,nausea and depression in an elderly
It might be Hypothyroidism.
I am Dr.Rovena.
I had gone through your query and understand your concern.
As you describe it I think she might have Hyperthyroidism.
Hypothyroidism is a condition characterized by abnormally low thyroid hormone production. There are many disorders that result in hypothyroidism.
The symptoms of hypothyroidism are often subtle. They are not specific (which means they can mimic the symptoms of many other conditions) and are often attributed to aging. Patients with mild hypothyroidism may have no signs or symptoms. The symptoms generally become more obvious as the condition worsens and the majority of these complaints are related to a metabolic slowing of the body. Common symptoms are listed below:
Fatigue,Depression,Modest weight gain,Cold intolerance,Excessive sleepiness,Dry, coarse hair,Constipation,Dry skin,Muscle cramps,Increased cholesterol levels,Decreased concentration,Vague aches and pains,Swelling of the legs.
A blood test is needed to confirm the diagnosis.
When hypothyroidism is present, the blood levels of thyroid hormones can be measured directly and are usually decreased. However, in early hypothyroidism, the level of thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) may be normal. Therefore, the main tool for the detection of hyperthyroidism is the measurement of the TSH, the thyroid stimulating hormone.
If TSH is insreased your wife has Hypothyroidism.
I suggest to do blood test measuring T3,T4,TSH.
Hope I was able to help you.If you have further questions please feel free to write me.I will be happy to answer.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for hypertension with depression
- Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression
- Suggest treatment for post pardum depression
- Suggest treatment for depression and panic attack
- Suggest treatment for severe anxiety and depression
- Suggest treatment for bipolar depression
- Suggest treatment for serious depression
- Suggest possible treatment for depression
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and depression
- What treatment is suggested for depression