• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fatigue, sore throat and tingling in the fingers

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello doc! I have scratchy throat, fatigue, cold feet, and tingling fingers. Should I be worried for HIV?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed this message fully. They are not suggestive of HIV. There is NO reason to be concerned. This is suggestive of a flu.

However, always protect yourself during intercourse with condoms to avoid HIV. Keeping a single sex partner is also advisable.

I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if you have any further concerns.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 minutes later
Hi, Doc. It has been two months since my last unprotected experience. Oral and docking. Is that a red flag? No rashes or headache. Just the above and sleepiness.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's a red flag but your symptoms are not suggestive of HIV!

Detailed Answer:

All unprotected intercourse is a red flag for sexually transmitted infections including HIV. However, your symptoms are not related to HIV.

Hope this clarifies your worries.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you, doc. Could you please tell me the possible diagnosis? I'm planning to get a blood test to check for my WBC and platelets. My nose bled the other day. I'm so scared.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
If you are scared, do an HIV test instead!

Detailed Answer:

You are most likely scared of HIV and not any abnormal blood tests. The best way forward is to address this directly. It's been two months since the last risky exposure and it will be more reasonable to do an HIV test than any others.

I am aware of the anxiety this raises but there is no need running away from the right things.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Are you confident, doc, that these symptoms are nowhere near an std? Im underage and the thought of asking for an hiv test horrifies me.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
They are not suggestive of HIv!

Detailed Answer:

There is no age limit for requesting for STD testing or an HIV test. Do not feel any embarrassed. Physicians should not judge and they will not judge you. You would be so surprised at how supportive they will be.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up as need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 19 minutes later
I have gone for a check-up and they did not diagnose me anything, even with a flu. Should this be something to be worried about, doc? They didn't even insist for a CBC.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 days later
Brief Answer:
No!

Detailed Answer:

Be calm and observe further. Unless symptoms persist or something else comes up, there is no reason to get worried.

I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 minutes later
May I know how these symptoms differ from HIV symptoms? I am having joint aches, but not excruciating.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV has no specific symptoms!

Detailed Answer:

HIV has no specific symptoms. There is no reason to be worried as no one symptom can unlock the diagnosis of HIV. We usually make this call after reviewing exposure and risk and at what time your symptoms start. In your case, the timeline isn't that typical. Furthermore, your mindset is more worried than the actual symptoms you report. Calm down and do not get drained over by this.

The best way to have objective evidence to settle your mindset is to do an HIV test. Ask your doctor that you need this test and it will be done. Don't be shy for any reasons.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ivo Ditah