• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fatigue, muscle aches and frequent urination

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I'm a 67 yo male, pharmacist, who works in a hospital. 5 day duration of symptoms. They include severe malaise, general muscle aches, unusual thirst with frequent urination. Malaise is severe, in that I don't feel I can take another step. Medscape include Metformin, synthroid. I know these are very general symptoms but I'm having a hard time explaining this
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a urinary tract infection is likely

Detailed Answer:

frequent urination can be a symptom of a urinary tract infection, particularly if you feel your bladder is full but you actually pass only drops of urine. Such infections are commonly accompanied by high fever and rigor. The rest of the symptoms are too broad to comment on. They can be caused by far too many causes to list here.

A urinalysis is a good way to start the investigation. Clinical examination is very important for the diagnosis in such cases.

If it's indeed a urinary tract infection then immediate action is required because such infections can evolve rapidly into life-threatening situations. If you do have fever then a visit to the local ER would sound appropriate.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 12 minutes later
In addtion to the severe malaise and thirst my stomach seems to be gassy and tender to rebound. Already had an appendectomy
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
does not add much information

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the additional information but it does not add much to my idea of your condition. Rebound tenderness has to be judged by the examining doctor. It's hard for the patient to evaluate painful stimuli. Rebound tenderness usually means peritonitis which is a pretty serious condition but it does not sound too likely in your case. I can't say whether you have rebound tenderness or not without clinical examination obviously...

In any case (particularly if you have fever) you should be examined by a doctor as soon as possible.

Best wishes!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis