Suggest treatment for fatigue in old age

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Dr Bain, it may seem strange but true, I have always tried to do many things to have good health but yes I did smoke, sad but true..However I have been very lucky and basically been very healthy all these years outside of a few sinus and allergy problems. And yes I had my last cjggarrette on Jan-12 of this year, and I know I will never smoke again. As I stated earlier I have no other bad habits. I tease my 4 grandkids and tell them "Now MeMa is perfect". Thank You..
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep up, exercise, diet and relaxation

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update,

It is very interesting you finally quit smoking and are having a very healthy and admirable lifestyle. How enjoyable it could be to spend exciting moments with grand kids.

I suggest you do keep up and warm these habits. Of course, a healthy life style, exercise as frequent as you can, and feel good with loved ones as grand kids are of utmost and fundamental importance to your well being. Check regular your blood pressure, control your blood glucose, eat enough vegetables, exercise and rest/relax appropriately.

I admire and encourage your healthy habits. Feel free asking any questions in case of need. I would be glad to make any humble contributions. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Dr Bain, thank you for your time, the one area which does need a little work would be the rest and relaxation as for the 4 grandkids which range in age from almost 5 up to almost 15, I have been babysitting for sinse they were all 6 weeks old. MeMa is getting a little worn out. It is now summer break so they are all here during the time out of school.During the school year I have them every morn and take the 3 oldest to school theyvare 14, 7 and 6, the youngest being almost 5 and wont be in school till next year. Anyways, my labs I have had lately have been good, I will send the results so you can see them a little later. Thank You XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Will be honored having a look at reslults

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the updates,

It interesting you realize that you might need more in put on relaxation. Though a bit difficult in your present situation, you can make , and I know you do, babysitting a hobby and game, and feel real good in it too. Sure you can always try to make out a little relaxation time.

For sure I will be honored having a look at your lab results when they get to you. Do not hesitate asking in case you might need my in put at any time. Kind regards and enjoy your day.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Hi Dr Bain, my most recent lab results were a cbc with differentials/platlets which all came back within the normal ranges. my last lipid panel was total cholesteral being 167, my hdl was 78, my ldl was 56 and the tryg. were 166, but i was told before I had the blood test they might be a little higher from 3 cups of coffee that morning with sugars and cream. I also had a random glucose done after lunch of a salad with XXXXXXX seed dressing and the same coffees that morning, the result 103. Also I had a tsh blood draw and it came back a little high at 5.179. Thank You
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal lipids, other parameters needed for thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the results update,

The readings for your total cholesterol, LDLc and HDLc are within normal ranges. Triglyceride levels are a little bit raised, but no serious call for concern at this point. It is desirable to get these tests run after an overnight fast. You will need to get this done without eating or taking coffee night time. But you really need not worry with regards to the lipids. For your age, all is well.

You random blood glucose however, even after eating is well within normal limits. It will be surprising and absurd that you be diabetic, especially if you do not have a family history of diabetes with these readings. That not withstanding, an annual screen for diabetes, preferably a fasting blood glucose or measures of the Glycated Hemoglobin (HBA1c) is still advised. You will have to take your last meal by 8pm over night and get the blood samples taken the next morning, before you eat or drink.

It is difficult and usually non conclusive to decide on managing isolated slightly raised TSH levels, as hyperthyroidism. Interpretation of these results, especially when borderline raised requires that reading of T3, T4 and TRH at times be considered. Your clinical signs and symptoms also are considered to see if they are compatible with raised thyroid hormones.

Your family doctor can get the tests done again (TSH, TRH, T4, and T4). a proper clinical review by an endocrinologist or internist is required to decide whether or not to put you on treatment.

Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 24 minutes later
Thank You for your quick responses. As far as the ths level goes my last one done was 4 years ago and it was at 2.89. I do have some symptoms such as fatigue , dry skin, nails some constipation etc. Also the last lipid panel was done then and it also was 167 but my hdl was 61 my ldl was 93 and the tryg. were 76. it was a true fast no food or coffee. So this lipid panel was somewhat better. I think... Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Improving HDl is protective and its good news

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update,

With regards to the evolution of your HDL cholesterol, otherwise known as good or protective cholesterol, it is for sure getting towards the better end and of course reassuring.

Fatigue ,, dry skin and constipation are generally associated with thyroid disease for sure. A complete screen again is needed, in my opinion. Other signs and symptoms like muscle weakness, proximal muscle pain, joint pain, malaise should be considered. Rheumatological conditions like polymyalgia rheumatica, Lupus, connective tissue disease could also present with vague symptoms as such. An erythrocyte sedimentation rate to measure the degree of chronic inflammation is important. the opinion of an internist for a complete clinical review and screen could needed at some point in time.

Dr Bain