• question-icon

Suggest treatment for fatigue and dizziness while on Gabapentin

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been on 300 mg of Gabapentin twice daily for shingle pain now for 3 months. I still have some shingle pain but after reading more about this drug I really want to wean off of it. I have read some horrible side affects of coming off the drug but I also realize that the people who write on the blogs are usually the ones who have had horrible experiences. The only other meds I take are hormones, and thyroid and metformin. I do take vitamins and just started adding magnesium to my diet but from what I have read it is not good to take with gabapentin. Please advise a safe way to get this drug out of my system.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weaning off Gabapentin

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

Most people tolerate Gapbapentin well. The incidence of potentially serious side effects is very rare. Most common side effects experienced include sedation, fatigue, and dizziness.
If you do not experience any side effects, you can safely continue gabapentin for neuropathic pain.
However, if you decide to discontinue the medication here is the treatment plan for weaning off Gabapentin.
Since you are on 300 mg twice daily, the dose can be reduced by 100 mg every week
That is, 200mg in the morning and 300 mg in the evening on week 1
200 mg in the morning and 200 mg in evening on week 2
100 mg in morning and 200 mg in evening on week 3
100 mg in morning and 100 mg in evening on week4
100 mg once daily on week 5
followed by completely discontinuing the medication on the beginning of week 6
In order to titrate down the dose, you will need to buy the 100 mg tablets of Gabapentin.

I would like to add that discontinuing Gabapentin can worsen the neuropathic pain. The side effects of Gabapentin are usually not of major concern.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal