Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

137 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for failed IVF and IUI

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5999 Questions
My age is 34, height 5.5, weight 66, i have undergone ectopic surgery and right tube was removed completely before 2 and 1/2 years, and last year tried iui followed by ivf but did not conceive yet. after ivf had a break of 6 months and tried naturally, now this month i had iui done again, but after 28 days of menstrual cycle spotting started since last three days and i think this time also iui failed. can you suggest me what can be done.
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Yes , I can suggest the following for you -
1. Your partner's latest semen analysis - has it been done, and is it normal ?
2. From what I gather, so far, 1 attempt of IVF and 2 trials of IUI have been done, is that correct ?
3. Did you ovulate / produce good quality eggs in the IUI / IVF cycles ?
4. Did you conceive naturally when the ectopic pregnancy was present ?
5. According to me, go for 1 more cycle of IUI. If you do not conceive inspite of good semen count and documented ovulation, then next cycle, please go for a laparoscopy to check the patency of the left fallopian tube.
6. If 3 - 6 cycles of IUI fail , you have no option but to go for further cycles of IVF, in the best of hands, IVF has 30 - 40 % success rate, so you have to take your chances.
7. Eliminate stress, think positive and take daily 5 mg per day folic acid.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN