Suggest treatment for failed IVF and IUI

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
My age is 34, height 5.5, weight 66, i have undergone ectopic surgery and right tube was removed completely before 2 and 1/2 years, and last year tried iui followed by ivf but did not conceive yet. after ivf had a break of 6 months and tried naturally, now this month i had iui done again, but after 28 days of menstrual cycle spotting started since last three days and i think this time also iui failed. can you suggest me what can be done.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
LAPAROSCOPY IF IUI FAILS

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Yes , I can suggest the following for you -
1. Your partner's latest semen analysis - has it been done, and is it normal ?
2. From what I gather, so far, 1 attempt of IVF and 2 trials of IUI have been done, is that correct ?
3. Did you ovulate / produce good quality eggs in the IUI / IVF cycles ?
4. Did you conceive naturally when the ectopic pregnancy was present ?
5. According to me, go for 1 more cycle of IUI. If you do not conceive inspite of good semen count and documented ovulation, then next cycle, please go for a laparoscopy to check the patency of the left fallopian tube.
6. If 3 - 6 cycles of IUI fail , you have no option but to go for further cycles of IVF, in the best of hands, IVF has 30 - 40 % success rate, so you have to take your chances.
7. Eliminate stress, think positive and take daily 5 mg per day folic acid.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.