Suggest treatment for facial palsy

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I am suffering from Facial Palsy in left half for the last 6 weeks. It has improved a bit from before, but still not cured. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You would gradually improve.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

You are on correct treatment for facial palsy. Only thing is that you should have taken acyclovir tablets also, as the facial palsy is believed to be due to a viral infection called as herpes simplex. Acyclovir is an anti-viral drug.

As of now, you should continue nervijen plus and physiotherapy. Physiotherapy should include facial exercises and galvanic current stimulation.

About 75% people recover within one month, however, remaining 25% people may take 3 months time to recover.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T