Suggest treatment for facial numbness in a patient with cluster headache

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi My name is xxxXXXXXXX My husband was recently dx. with SUNCT cluster headaches and has been treated with prednisone, dilaudid, valium and compazine. Yesterday he woke with left facial numbness with weakness and drooping. I am R.N. and did the best neuro assessment within my capabilities. I see no s/s cva or tia. No loc or memory dificits. Signs point to Bells Palsy. Is this something he needs to be treated for in the hospital or will it resolve on its own. Is there any other treatments to consider? He already takes gabapentin for neuropathy. How long do the symptoms last? Appreciate and input or advice. Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms resolve completely in about six months.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

I have read carefully your query and understand your concerns.

From your description seems to be Bell's palsy, however it needs to be evaluated further if is central ( cause inside the brain ), or peripheral ( damage of facial nerve outside the brain ).

If the front is affected too, it is peripheral facial palsy.

An evaluation by a Neurologist should be sufficient to diagnose properly this condition.

Since there are no other concerns that may point to more serious conditions such stroke eg. there is no need to rush.

You can ask for an appointment with a Neurologist.

The cause of Bell's palsy is unknown, viral infection is mostly accused.

Symptoms start to improve in few weeks and resolve completely in about six months.

Prednisone is sufficient as a treatment of the acute phase, so, since your husband is using it for another reason, it's okay for Bell's palsy treatment too.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

If no other questions, please close the conversation and rate the answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad