Suggest treatment for facial erysipelas

Dr. R.G. Joshi

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: Hi,

I was seen Monday by a nurse practitioner. I have a spot on my chin that he believes is a staph infection. I also had a very swollen gland under my chin, and the pain was from my neck to my chin. He prescribed Keflex, but nothing topical. The pain under my chin is improving, but the actual sore on my face is more painful and I suspect a second spot may be erupting. Should I go back to the doctor, or is this normal in the process of healing? As a background, I went through radiation for breast cancer two years ago, followed by the flu, two different kinds of pneumonia and significant steroid use. All of that was finished a year ago. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
staph infection,erysipelas

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.I can understand your concern.

Probably you are having skin deep staph infection.This is known as erysipelas.

Any trauma,dental infection can cause such infection.Steroids ,radiation therapy probably cause decrease in immunity leading to such infections.

Cephalexn(keflex) works best in such cases.However at times such infections are caused by MRSA (methicillin resistant stpah aureus).In such cases there is no response to keflex and probably a change in antibiotic is advised. Linezolid works best in such cases.In my opinion It will be better to complete course of prescribed antibiotic and in case there is no response consult your doctor.

I will also advise you ice application and analgesics for improvement.

I hope this will help you.In case of any concern i will be happy to help you.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 hours later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
I hope my answer helps you. For now, if you don't have more questions, please close this discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj