Suggest treatment for eye infection

Ophthalmologist
Question
Eye infection in cornea - I'm a contact lens user for past 20 years. I use a monthly disposable lens. I'm currently on vacation in UK and have a week more to return. But I've developed a sore ( similar to mouth ulcer) in my eyelid , red eyes and dark greyish line around my cornea. I used a fresh lens last week only. Now I've stopped wearing the lens and don't have a replacement. My symptoms look similar to keratitis and read that it needs immediate attention and no OTC eye drops. Please suggest some immediate solution till I get back to XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to use antibiotic eye drops.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed your history and the reports attached with the question.

The presence of ulcer in the eyelid with red eyes indicate eye infection. Since you are using contact lens treatment with antibiotic eye drops is required. The use of contact lenses should not be done till the symptoms resolve.
I usually treat infections of the eye by broad spectrum antibiotic eye drops like Moxifloxacin eye drops 4-6 times per day depending on the severity.

The grayish line around the cornea is not because of infection but because of allergy commonly in seen in long time contact lens users. It is because of gelatinous thickening of the limbal conjunctiva around the cornea.

If you develop symptoms like blurring of vision, white spot over the cornea, severe pain, watering.... you need to consult your ophthalmologist for treatment under supervision.

In your case by seeing the photos attached with the question, it does not seem like keratitis, hence no need to worry.
But start antibiotic eye drops like Moxifloxacin and stop use of contact lenses till the symptoms subside.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards