Suggest treatment for eye infection in an infant

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello sir ,
My son is 10.5 months old..yesterday he went for his physiotherapy coz he was born with arthrogryposis so he is being treated with therapy...the place was a little unhygienic ..he rubbed his eyes from there his eyes were very red(the White area of te eye)..I put tobacin ear and eye drop (2 drop ) once at night and one in the afternoon..the redness went away but now again his eyes are a little red and water is coming out at regular intervals..I am a lttle worried coz its a matter of eyes..can u suggest me anything that could relive it? Is tobacin eye drop correct in case of bacterial infection? If yes what is the correct dosage?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
redness

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
There are two possibilities either there is infection or the redness is due to allergy.
We will go for infection as this has responded to tobacin eye drop .Infections should have some discharge.
Tobacin is a proper antibiotic for children and one drop 3to 4 times a day is proper for the child.Do continue this for 4 to 5 days otherwise the infections tend to recur.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 7 days later
Hello sir,
We followed ur instructions but did it for only 3 days to be XXXXXXX .her mom stopped the medicine after 3 days n I thought she completed the whole course of 5 days as told by you..anyways after almost 3 days after completing the course we did we decided to visit a paediatric ophthalmologist and get his eyes checked(routine check up) at 1 year age..in the last question I mistakenly wrote his age as 10.5 months..when he looked at his eyes he saw some slight redness in his eyes ..so he prescribed FML-t drops 1 drop 3 times a day for 3 days then taper it to 1 drop two times a day for 3 more days..so total 6 days...now what I've read on the Internet is that it's a steroid ..is it safe for my child eye? Does it have side effects? Is the dosage correct? Little worried so I wanted to get a second opinion..his eyes are not red..just slight red coZ he rubbed it at the time when the doc saw him...kindly let me know every detail u can so that I can follow your advise strictly this time ..thanks in advance ..
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
redness

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
There is no need to expose the child to steroids unless very necessary. Though this is a mild steroid and in the doses prescribed it is absolutely safe,still i feel the ophthalmologist may be misguided by the situation.
You can continue with tobacin twice a day for.3 days if there is no rednessthen stop tobacin and thereby we would be able to avoid exposure to even a mild steroid.
Any further query in this regard please do get back to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Sir the first dose he already put in his clinic..can we stop in between and switch on to tobacin in between? Will it not cause any harm or resistance if stopped in between?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
redness

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
Stopping fml will not result in resistence.Rest assured and continue with tobacin for 3 days and do not expose to FML.We will save FML for any severe stage later on if needed.
Any further query in this regard please do get back to us.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 2 days later
Hello sir,
Thanks for sharing your opinion,i would like to also ask u that i wanted to get a normal eye checkup done for my child..the same doctor has given a drop named Cyclopentolate (1% It is to be put one drop in each eye..then repeat the same procedure after 15 minutes one-one drop each eye again..then wait for 15 minutes and again repeat the drops and then wait for 15 minutes and go for a test to check the power of the eye..i would like to ask you in detail..is this method safe for my child? Any side effects of the drop mentioned to check the power of the eye? Is there any other method available instead of this to get the power of the eyes checked? I heard this procedure for the first time so i just wanted to double check what this method actually is before taking my son for if..your help is most appreciated.)
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
redness

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
This is a safe eye drop to check details of children's eyes.Power can always be checked without these drops but in children accurecy is doubtful.
Go ahead with this examination and do not worry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T