Suggest treatment for extreme pain in the ankle

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I have been experiencing extreme pain in my ankle. It usually happens at night when asleep and occasionally when awake. The only way I can describe it is that it feels like the muscles are squeezing the bones so tight the bone is going to break. It gets worse if I try to keep it still so I try and walk it out but it is painful. it will last about 5 to 10 minutes and then it will just disappear. There is no swelling or redness, just the excruciating pain and tightness. It is very sporadic and it may occur one night, then not again for months and then it may occur for a couple nights in a row and then not again for months. I drink a ton of water and do not drink alcohol. Do you have any idea what is happening and how I can prevent it?
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be deficiency of Vitamin D , E Or spinal canal stenosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
The way you have described the pain it appears to be due to spasm in your muscles, called cramps.
The spasm could be due to many reasons: Due to vitamin D3 ot E Deficiency, Electrolyte imbalance to due to spinal canal stenosis.
I suggest you get S Electrolytes , Vit D and E levels , and MRI of L S Spine - in that order to arrive at a possible diagnosis.
In the meantime , take vit D3 and Vit E supplementation .
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.