Suggest treatment for extreme mood swings caused by depression

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My friend is extremely absent minded, communicating wrong times for appointments, thinking she sent files that she never did, and sleeps well for 15 hours a day, with difficulty waking.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several possibilities

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I appreciate your concern about your friend.

There can be many causes for the issues you mention.

Sleep apnea is a common cause of excessive sleepiness, slowed thinking and forgetfulness. It means that during sleep there are frequent episodes of interrupted breathing with sleep interruptions. As a result while it may seem that the individual sleeps too much in reality it’s because he/she doesn’t make quality sleep. Would be more likely if your friend is overwuight and snores a lot during the night.

A hormonal issue such as low thyroid function is also a common cause of those issues which can easily be tested through some blood tests. Other conditions may also present with excessive sleep like liver and kidney issues, diabetes, lupus, nutritional deficiencies etc, but usually in advanced stages and there should be other manifestations.

Often times a mood disorder such as depression has among its symptoms concentration issues and low energy levels with excessive sleep.

Brain lesions like tumor, stroke, inflammation etc are very rarely manifested that way, at least not without other accompanying symptoms. However if no cause is found brain imaging may at times be considered.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.