Suggest treatment for extreme fatigue, mild fever, nausea and appetite loss

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Thinking about taking him to ER. Thoughts???

My father is extremely fatigued w/ low grade fever, some nausea which has lasted two weeks. DR is treating w/ sulfur based drug and alternating Tylenol and motrin. He also has extreme dry mouth and no appetite w/ off taste.

all blood tests have come back in the "normal range" - no infections - can it be viral? Also , he just returned from a fishing trip to Louisiana - could this be related to a mosquito bite?
Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Well, these are pretty nonspecific symptoms but considering his age it would be good to see doctor and do some blood tests for a start. These symptoms may indicate infectious issue and in elderly, even short period of dehydration or starving may lead to metabolic imbalance. So he should check potassium and sodium levels, blood sugar, inflammatory markers and do basic heart and lung tests. Less common, this may be sign of neurological issues such as encephalitis. This may be viral. I suggest to get him Prosure or Rehidromix drinks and do tests that I have recommended if there won't be improvement. Wish you good health. REGARDS