Suggest treatment for extreme cough

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Is there anything other than the usual cough supressants to calm this cough that I have?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Codeine/ ivy leaf extract/ home remedies/ supportive medication.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If you are taking steroids and antibiotics for any infection, your cough will reduce after the medications take effect.

2. If Delsym (with dextromethorphan) is not effective, cough syrups containing codeine/ ivy leaf extract (Prospan/ Helixia)/ levodropropizine will help. However you will require a prescription for these.

3. Get a blood test to rule out eosinophilia and check any current medication such as anti-hypertensives which can cause severe cough.

4. Home remedies include honey (4 spoons) and fresh cream (1 spoon) mixtures with ginger juice and black pepper to taste. Diet should be bland.

5. An anti-allergic mucolytic, steam inhalation and a medicated oral rinse should be taken along with the antibiotics and steroids. Remember that steroids can flare up an existing infection. Consider reflux medication if required.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist