• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for extra bone growth in the leg

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I am quadriplegic, C-6 complete, 25yrs post injury, I've developed a severe bone growth (heterotopic ossification) in my left hip to my knee. My leg looks very deformed and my mobility has been reduced dramatically.
I'm wrestling with the issue of getting surgery called "femur resection". As I understand it, it's very dangerous and if I can survive the surgery there's still a good chance the "HO" could restart the growth.
I'm leaning towards NOT getting the surgery and just riding out the injury thus hoping I might be able to optimize the time I have left. My wife is my caregiver and is supportive of my wishes.
Plz advise as to any options or suggestions to halt or rollback the excessive bone growth in my be left leg. I've asked about this problem on t his board in the pass with less than adequate results. I'm almost ready to give up. Please help m
Thanks in advance. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Physical therapy is the main mode of non-surgical treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query. Your condition is unfortunate. Worse still, people with paraplegias or quadriplegias are vulnerable to development of heterotopic ossification. I need to know about the exact range of movement you have and what specific problems you are facing with respect to the extra bony outgrowths that have formed. Unless the complaints are severe enough it would not be advisable to go for a femoral resection.

Apart from surgery the primary management is physical therapy. Conservative treatments such as passive range of motion exercises or other mobilization techniques provided by physical therapists or occupational therapists may be helpful. Passive range of motion exercises can maintain range of movements at the joint and prevent secondary soft tissue contractures which are often associated with joint immobility.

I would wait to hear further details from you. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1954

Answered : 4439 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Contractures

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... I am getting spontaneous erections with instant curveture of the...

doctor1 MD

what is the problem if the bottom of my feet fill like I am walking on water blisters?

doctor1 MD

I wanna discuss Erb's Palsy of my new born (left arm) during Forceps vaginal delivery . Please advise a treatment and necessary care to be given to...

doctor1 MD

I was awaken in the night with serious drawing and contractures of ankle and toes. this isn't the first time. also left thumb drawing and stiff for...

doctor1 MD

I had breast cancer, subsequent reconstruction with a mesh I believe - four years ago. The breast where the implant is has deformed some and I am...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

134 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha
  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe loose motion

  • Q - Is there any cure for degenerative mucoid cyst associated with...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic severe diarrhea and stomach pain

  • Q - Does Klonopin of a different brand cause any adverse reactions?

  • Q - What causes unusual sweating?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for joints pain in a person with IBS

  • Q - What are the side effects of Superglue injection?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for excessive dryness in mouth

  • Q - Is restarting of Casodex advisable after stopping it?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe constipation