Suggest treatment for extensive edema till the calves, chronic cough and symptoms of heart failure
Diagnosis: Post encephalitis syndrome
The symptoms your wife is experiencing is post encephalitis syndrome. It occurs due to damage to neurons in the brain as a result of encephalitis. Behavioral issues, decreased memory, muscle tremors are all symptoms of post encephalitis syndrome.
Continue Levodopa as it helps greatly in reducing tremors and muscle tone. I would also recommend starting physical therapy to improve muscle strength.
Treatment depends on the symptoms and is mainly supportive. Moreover, she should have a caretaker who can provide adequate care and attention. Make sure that she takes all her medications as scheduled. If she refuses blood sugar medications or the blood sugar is not well controlled, switching to insulin injections would be necessary. Medications for treatment of cardiac failure need to be taken regularly and daily. Skipping such medications can cause worsening of heart failure.
Please be advised to follow up with her physician as scheduled. I would also recommend screening by a psychiatrist to assess for any underlying depression.
Hope this answers your question
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Congestive heart failure edema ascites
- Reflux chronic cough symptoms
- Pulmonary edema right heart failure
- Weeping edema congestive heart failure
- Congestive heart failure treatment
- Treatment and cure for Heart failure
- Suggest treatment for final stage of heart failure
- Congestive heart failure and hard edema
- Peripheral edema in heart failure
- Acute heart failure treatment