• question-icon

Suggest treatment for excruciating lower back pain

Posted on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 in Back Pain
Question: For 3 days, I have had excruciating lower back pain that is constant and spasmatic. I don't recall doing anything particular to cause this; however, I have had these episodes in the past with the last episode occurring 2 years ago. An MRI in2009 revealed a bulging disc which cause sciatica and arthritis in my spine. I have been treating my current pain with heat, vibrator, motrin, XXXXXXX and back exercises which I have from my previous doctor. Also, I am using a solaris soothing patch. I am not able to bend to touch my feet, every time I have to bend a little, I have to squat, I can stand for a short period of time but I still have spasms, I sleep fitfully
due to pain, I use a pillow between my legs to help with a good sleeping posture. Should I see my doctor, should I continue to exercise (if so, what type?), do you have any other suggestions for treatment? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it's time to see orthopedic specialist and neurologist...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the current health problems you are facing.

The treatment of bulging disc, sciatica and vertebral arthritis consists of exercises, heat, anti-inflammatories like motrin, XXXXXXX and soothing patch.

However, sometimes, they are not enough. Physiotherapy is further recommended from a specialist.
Plus, as the pain is not getting better and is impairing your daily activities, I advise to consult with and orthopedic and neurologist and to run further tests like another MRI of vertebral spine and neurological tests to evaluate at what extent the bulging disc has been aggravated and affecting the nearby nerves.

So, consult with orthopedic specialist and neurologist and get further tested before final treatment (injections might be prescribed: more potent anti-inflammatory meds; steroids or even muscle relaxants).

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini