Suggest treatment for excessive weight gain

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son is 7yrs, height-127 cms, and weight - 37 kg.
As his weight is on higher end, we got some tests done as per the doctor's advise. Everything is normal, his Cortisol level is 50.23, where as the normal range starts from 54.9 or so.
I wanted to check how this result should be co-related
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is fine. You need not worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

The cortisol level is acceptable. Sometimes it is related to growth and hence your doctor could have ordered for it. You need not worry about it. Its fine.

As for the weight, let me mention that for weight gain to occur, there should be surplus difference between the amount of energy taken in as food and the total energy expenditure. A regular vigorous physical activity (read:playing) of at least 1 hour is essential.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 12 minutes later
Hello doctor,
Thanks so much for the response.
I accept, he is not getting enough physical activity due to some time conflicts. We will definitely work on that part.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle modification is all that is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Childhood obesity is on the rise. Lifestyle modification is all that is needed.

Wish you all the best.