• question-icon

Suggest treatment for excessive weight gain and uncontrolled high blood pressure

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been diagnosed with IBS have had polyps in my colon that are the ones that turn into cancer. I've had my gallbladder removed and I'm over weight gaining 50 lbs in the last few years. for the last year my bp is in the range of 170ish/115ish my mean platelet count is high my heart rate is around 95ish. my hands swell when I'm walking outside. I'm always tired and get random massive headaches. I've had my thyroid cleared of anything wrong although my range for the t4 is 118 atm so on the low side. my doctors have put their hands in the air and don't know what's going on as bp meds didn't bring my bp down and putting me on antidepressants didn't bring my bp down either. please help!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that it is necessary investigate further in order to find the possible cause of your troubles.

Have they checked your adrenal gland function?

The fact that you have gained a lot of weight is another reason of uncontrolled high blood pressure.

But from the other hand, weight gain can be a symptom of adrenal gland dysfunction.

For this reason I would recommend performing some other tests:

- cortisol plasma levels
- aldosterone plasma levels
- ACTH plasma levels
- urinary metanephrines for pheochromocytoma
- PCR and ESR for chronic inflammation
- HbA1C for diabetes
- kidney and liver function tests (if you have not already performed them).

Considering the swelling in your hands, it is also necessary performing a cardiac ultrasound to examine your heart and exclude heart failure.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Meanwhile, i would recommend you to consult with a dietitian in order to help you lose some pounds. A maximal reduce of salt and caffeine in your diet would also help lower your blood pressure values.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist