Suggest treatment for excessive thirst during night time

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Diabetes
Question: Hi, I am experiencing excessive thirst at night, however my fasting blood sugar as well as my 3 months sugar are normal. When I was at a friends house (the friend is diabetic and has a blood sugar measuring device), I measured my blood sugar 2 hours after a meal and it was 6.5.
Could it be that I have diabetes even though my results are normal? What other test should I require from doctors? If it is not diabetes, what could the excessive thirst be caused by? Thank you in afvance for helping.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be food related.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Noted your concern.

You have mentioned your blood sugar levels are normal over last 3 months, also blood sugar reading of 6.5 mmol/l after meal is within normal limit.
Possibility of Diabetes is unlikely but it may be advisable to do OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) to confirm your diabetes status.

Also you experiences excessive thirst only at night, it may related to -
- Inadequate water intake in day time.
- Food related like coffee, hot, spicy food.
- Alcohol intake.
- Stress, anxiety, depression.
- Use of some medicines like diuretics (water pill), antihistaminics, medicines for high blood pressure or for depression.

If there are no other symptoms like dry or redness of eyes, skin rashes, fever, joint pain then you can try-
- Drinking adequate water.
- Avoid use of alcohol, coffee, hot, spicy & dry food.
- Avoid smoking.
- Suck some ice chips, sugar free hard candies.

If you found this not helpful better to consult your doctor for detailed clinical evaluation.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina