Suggest treatment for excessive sweating in infants

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 16months old. She's sweating a lot, especially when passing motion and while drinking milk from bottle. She sweats if there is not enough air-conditioning and while we feel comfortable at this time. Her head and arms are affected most with sweat.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is normal. Nothing needs to be done about it.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. But let me assure you that such a sweating is normal and not a cause for concerns. It so happens that our body has multiple types of autonomic innervations viz. the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous system. The actions are something like pre-programmed and these two systems have opposite but complementary effects on the functions that they regulate. In the case of your daughter, the innervations are such that a trigger for the digestive system causes parasympathetic overactivity causing her to sweat excessively. It is expected to be this way even later on. AC is not the solution. Even under AC, the sweating is similar, it is just not apparent.

Let me assure you that this is absolutely NORMAL and occurs in many individuals. NOTHING NEEDS TO BE DONE about it (and nothing can actually be done about it).

A simple google search on the activities of the parasympathetic nervous system will give you an insights on this. If you can observe the heart rate and pupils (medical signs), you will see that during feeding or during passage of stool, the other associated parasympathetic actions would also be present. But that does not mean that you need to be bothered about them.

Sorry for being too much technical. But this is the actual explanation.

Hope that helped.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj