• question-icon

Suggest treatment for excessive sweating, fatigue and dizziness

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi.

Recently I had an exposure to HIV (possibly) I was the insertive partner. I am uncircumcised. I went to the dr and was prescribed a generic Atripla for PeP but have been getting sick. Are these side effects of medicine or stress?

1. Excess sweating
2. Fatigue
3. Vivid dreams
4. Sometimes cough infrequent worse at night
5. Dizziness

I am concerned with seroconversion of HIV I haven't had a noticeable fever took temperature earlier. Hovered around 36.5 - 37.3
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are side effects of medicine.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

You had an exposure possibly with HIV but you had to tell me in detail about the exposure so that I can explain you in much better way how risky it was. You consulted the doctor and he prescribed you Atripla for PEP which contains Efavirenz and the symptoms you had are due to the side effect of this medicine nothing else. Don't get worried, consult your doctor again and ask him to change the regime. Further I will advice you to take the medicine either empty stomach or at-least 2-3 hours after having meal in night. For any furthe query feel free to ask me any time and I am here to help you out always.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Unprotected sex with a person of unknown HIV status. I was the top. (MSM). In the mornnng noticed partner had a rash all over stomac and lower thighs. They claimed allergy rash from
Alcohol. Non itchy. I was suspicious and went immediately for PeP (within -2 hours of exposure)
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
The risk is very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for the follow-up.

The exposure you had mentioned is risky but you had started PEP within the stipulated time limit which lowers your risk very significantly.

The rashes over stomach and lower thighs of your partner might be due to allergy or other skin infection not always to be of HIV so just calm down, allay the fear of HIV and move on in life.

For any further query feel free to ask me again and I am here to help you out.

Thank You

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist