Suggest treatment for excessive salivation

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Excess saliva for months now.
What could be the reason?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Transient, drugs, kidney disease and uncontrolled diabetes. Patience, no wo

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I understand this could be disturbing, especially if it's the first time to experience this. However, this could be transient and is often due to common conditions. Tooth ache, inflammation in the mouth or throat and viral infections could cause excessive salivation. Any history of diabetes or kidney disease? It might be necessary to screen for these conditions. In case you have no family history of diabetes, no excess urination or drinking lots of water than usual, it would be unlikely it's diabetes.

Introduction of new drugs could cause excessive salivation. This is commonly seen with most anti psychotic drugs. Anti cancer medication could cause similar increased salivation.

Issues with certain nerves, like trauma and inflammation could cause excessive salivation. I am afraid I did not see your sex in the query. However, this could a sign of pregnancy in some women.

In case this persists, seeing your GP for a complete clinical review might be useful. This is of course generally transitory, and not usually too serious. However, if it persists you might have to see your doctor.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad