Suggest treatment for excessive intestinal gas and constipation

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have huge amounts of gas every evening. It won't come out on the stool, so I have to let it out when I am lying on bed or whatever. This evening I also had a gelatinous stool shaped thing that had some little strings of blood in it. I also take Mialax every morning in order to be able to have BMs. My name is XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have noted all your details,

Indigestion is the most common cause of excessive gas formation in stomach.Improper digestion leads to fermentation of food in stomach leading to production of large amount of gases.

There are usually two main sources of gas in digestive tract-
1)swallowed air-Air swallowing, is a common cause of gas in the stomach. Eating or drinking rapidly, chewing gum, smoking, or wearing loose dentures can cause some you to take in more air.
2)As already told above breakdown of Undigested Foods :
The body does not digest and absorb some carbohydrates like sugar, starch, and fiber as our small intestine lack enzymes to digest them.
This undigested food then passes from the small intestine into the large intestine, where normal, harmless bacteria break down the food, producing hydrogen, carbon dioxide etc..

As you have to take Miralax for bowel moment daily it means that you are having constipation.Gelatinous stool can be because of presence of extra mucous in stool.Secretion of mucous is a natural phenomenon,However when you are constipated our intestine try to secrete more mucous to provide extra lubrication to assist stools to pass through them easily,Blood in stool can be due to erosion of Rectal mucosa due to constipation.Straining or passing hard stool can erode mucosa layer causing Mild bleeding.

Test advice
Proctoscopic examination of rectum to rule out Hemorrhoids as possible source of bleed.
Stool routine and microscopic examination(to rule out bacterial infection).
Colnoscopy should be done to rule out possibility of imflammatory bowel disease.

Suggestion

Start taking Neksium 40mg twice daily to provide you immediate symptomatic relief in gas.

Miralax should be taken 15ml while going to bed and not in morning for maximum benefits. Disssolve it in a cup water and drink it.

Take a probiotic daily,It aids in proper digestion of food.
Cut down your fibres intake.
Exercise daily for 30 minutes.
Try to restrict carbohydrates they are usually responsible for gas formation.
Digestive enzymes, such as lactase supplements, actually help digest carbohydrates and may allow people to eat foods that normally cause gas.
Avoid food which cause excessive formation of gas.
Food to be avoided-
Beans,vegetables such as artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, radishes, celery, carrots,they form a lot of gas.
Fruits such as apples, peaches, raisins, bananas, apricots, prune juice, pears
Whole grains and XXXXXXX
Carbonated drinks and alcohol.
Dairy products.
Try to avoid swallowing excessive air while eating.

I hope i answered your query well,Feel free to ask a follow up query.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 hours later
What probiotic do you recommend? Also, I am already on omeprazole 2 caps every evening, should I switch to Nexium? For what reason?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

I would recommend you to take Culturelle Probiotic thrice daily.

In trials it has been seen that esomeprazole 40 mg provides more effective acid control than twice the standard dose of omeprazole.Though both belong to same group yet results with esomeprazole were significantly better,And remember to take it empty stomach for maximum benefits.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj