Suggest treatment for excessive gas and abdominal bloating

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My torso feels like it's in a tight wrap, or like someone filled my torso with air like a balloon.
I've had this feeling off and on for about 2 years. It has been 3 days since this one started.
(I have complained to my doctor, but he told me it was old age, female problems, or the fix was too horrible to go through...but did not test or treat me at all. I have a new physician, but don't see him until March 3rd.)
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detail below

Detailed Answer:
The most likely cause of your symptoms is excessive gas in the abdomen. About half of gas in the digestive system is swallowed air.The rest is produced by bacteria in the gut that help digest food.
Secondly it could be due to disease which causes intestinal inflammation.viral or bacterial gastroenteritis, which causes inflammation of the stomach and bowel. intestinal obstruction in which the intestine is blocked and digested material cannot move through the digestive tract. irritable bowel syndrome.
As you have this feeling of and on from many years few investigations should be done to find the exact cause-
Ultra sound abdomen.
Ambulatory PH monitoring.
Stool routine and microscopy.

Till the time tests are done take Nexium 40mg twice daily to relieve you from gas and tightness.An antacid like Pepto-Bismol can also be taken to provide symptomatic relief.
Few general instructions are-
Don't Eat Too Much at a Time split your meals,Avoid Swallowing Air and Gases while eating,Don't Eat heavy spicy or fatty food,Try a Low FODMAP Diet,Restrict Sugar and Alcohol,Take Digestive Enzyme Supplements.

Follow up with reports.
I hope i answered your query well,Follow up questions are welcome.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad