Suggest treatment for excessive facial hair

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Facial hair is the issue. How to reduce it? After waxing, it grows back quite fast, full growth within a week.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for hormonal profile

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I need to ask you few questions.
Is your facial hair coarse?
Is your menstral cycle fine?
I would recommend you to get your hormonal profile done.
Go for the following tests on the second or third day of menses and preferably fasting.
The tests are FSH, LH, Serum Prolactin, TSH, Serum free testosterone and serum fasting insulin levels.
If these are fine then you need to go for laser hair reduction.
6-8 sittings will be required every 4-6 weeks and your hair growth will reduce permanently.
If these are abnormal you need to go for hormonal treatment. This will help in reducing your hair growth.
All this has to be done under the supervision of the dermatologist
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar