Suggest treatment for excessive dry cough and breathing difficulty

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Excessive dry cough no mucus. Its feels as if my bronchial are swollen its difficult to breathe.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
decongestant, cough suppressant combination may help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lemon, honey and mullein may help with the cough somewhat but if the cough is still persisting, there are other medications that you may want to add.
Even though you may not have nasal congestion, mucus can drip at the back of the throat and stimulate a cough, some persons are not aware of the drip itself.

This is only one of the reason for the coughing to occur.

Robitussion severe multisymptom, robitussin peak cold multisymptom or sudafed multisymptom.
These meds contain a decongestant and also cough suppressant though they also contain other meds as well. An antihistamine may be present, in some case, acetaminophen (paracetamol), may be present.

Even if you do not have any nasal congestion , the decongestant would reduce dripping to the back of the throat if it is present.

If there is no improvement with these medications then you may need to see your doctor for an assessment, antibiotics may be needed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions