Suggest treatment for excessive daytime sleepiness

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Sleep studies were conducted & interpreted by a sleep specialist. Patient diagnosed with narcolepsy, with cataplexy. Patient is 52 year old female. No history of drug abuse. How would you treat the excessive daytime sleepiness & difficulty going to sleep and remaining asleep? Patient's lifestyle does not allow for brief daytime napping.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Armodafinil or modafinil is the medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

If she is diagnosed narcolepsy, mood alerting drug is the choice.
Currently modafinil and its metabolite armodafinil are ghe drugs. Headache nausea and restlessnes are side effects. Side effects less with armodafinil.
This medicine used to prevent daytime sleepiness may cause difficulty in sleeping at night.
So at night for good sleep zolpidem or clonazepam can be used.
All above medicines you can discuss with treating doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. If still any confusion ,late me know.
Regards, Dr. Chintan Solanki
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj