Suggest treatment for excessive cough and lack of immunity in child

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My son is 2.5 year old. At the age of 3 month he suffered with bronchitis, then again at 14 months (Both time hospitalized). And After that time when there is some changes in weather he suffered with cough and chest congestion, However we take special care and immediately consult with doctor. We note that every 1.5 months period he face the same problem.Our paediatrician maximum time suggest Deriphyline syrup ( 3 ml-TID) & nebulization with Budesal (0.5mg TID) / Budecort (0.5 mg TID)
At last August 2014, He had too much cough (not relax for 1 minute), Our paediatrician got in trouble and done all the test, but no issue were found. He suggest only Deriphyline syrup ( 3 ml-TID) & nebulization with Budesal 0.5mg TID or if required repeat after 4 hrs. and if required nebulized with Levoline 0.63, But if we feel he was not relax we start to nebulize with Budecort 1Mg- TID.This will give relax for 4-5 hrs only.
However during that period we consult with Homeopathic doctor and our paediatrician both but after two weeks he got some relax (say 30% only). After that period we consult other paediatrician, he study all case and suggest consulting with Pulmonologist and allergy specialist.
We consult Pulmonologist and allergy specialist, first he suggest L-Montus kids-One tab at night, Neb. Budesal 0.5 TID and syp. Alaspan 2.5ml BD for 2 weeks. After this medication he got relax by 70%. We visit again after then he suggest L-Montus kids-One tab at night, Neb. Budesal 0.5 TID and syp. Recofast 2.5ml BD for 4 weeks. After this medication he relaxed 100% . But he suggest L-Montus kids-One tab at night, Neb. Budesal 0.5 TID and syp. LCZ 2.5ml BD (During running nose) for 4 weeks.
After that we stop the medication but continue L-Montus kids-One tab at night . But after two months he face little cough and agin consult our Ped. He suggest some medication he got relax.
Now again in last months we face the same problem and again consult to Pulmonologist he suggest for Syp AB-phllin (2.5ML TID) Syp Ephedrex (2.5ML TID) L-Montus kids-One tab at night, Neb. Budecort 0.5 TID for two weeks. After medication My son well and again start cough after 1 week of Medication.
Since he had been nebulized over a long period I am sure there is some side effect of Nebulization, It may decrease the immunity (as per goolge).
We did all vaccination related to flu and daily we give Zincovit syp. 5Ml to my son.
My son fell ill approx. in every month (Average).
This was my problem which I have explain, now please suggest, Is there any permanent solution for cure the cough of my son? What precaution I have to take? Is my son going for right medication? What will be the side effect of all medication and how we can overcome with the continuous medication? Is there any homemade remedy to increase the immune power of my baby?
Right now I am in much trouble regarding all the above matter and health related issue of my son. Please suggest.
Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your son is having asthma.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your son's situation and problem.
By your history and description, in my opinion, he is having asthma.
Asthma is allergic disease.
It is common cause for recurrent respiratory symptoms in children.
Asthma needs chronic therapy consisting
1. Identification of allergen and if possible, complete avoidance of it.
2. Inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid.
3. Combination of anti allergic and antihistamine drugs orally.
4. Oral bronchodilators if required.
In some pediatric cases asthma improves with age and completely gone by the age of 15-16 years.
But in some, this allergic phenomenon stays life long. Hence treatment is needed for life long.

Answer to your 1st question.

At present, you have to control the asthma and control it with drugs as long as possible. Then we can taper down drugs over time. Many patients can achieve excellent control with single drug- ICS ( inhaled corticosteroid).

Answer to your 2nd question.

You need to avoid common allergens like dust, pollution, pollens, animal fur etc. Give your son nebulizer and oral drugs timely. Complete his vaccination schedule.

Answer to your 3rd question.

Yes your son is takin right treatment. It is better to start nebulisation with LABA (long acting beta 2 agonist) and ICS (inhaled corticosteroid).
Continue l-montus kid tablet as,it is combination of anti allergic and antihistamine.
If he is well controlled with these then no need for alaspan or abphyllin. Discuss about LABA - ICS combination with your doctor.

Answer to your 4th question.

In long term use, nebulisation has very less side effects. In fact it is the treatment of choice for long term asthma control. It is much safer than oral drugs. So no need to worry for nebulisation and fear of decrease in immunity. The only thing you should do is to do gargles thoroughly after nebulisation use so that the drug particles stuck to oral cavity can be washed out.

Answer to your 5th question.

To improve immunity, you should give him honey with milk, turmeric with milk, tulsi leaves etc.
All are home made remedies that improve immunity.

Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wishing good health to your son.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 days later
Sir, Thanks for your valuable suggestion.
Plz. suggest any home remedy for Asthma problem solution and its precaution.
And i will shift in my new house at 10th floor in XXXXXXX Is there will any issue with height for my son? However i feel at height the pollution level is very low as compare to ground level.
Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance.....
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Identify the allergen and if possible avoid it completely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
There is no home remedy for asthma as such.
But the most important step is to identify the causative allergen and if possible try to avoid it completely.
Allergen can be dust or mites or chemicals or pollens or anything.
So identify it and avoid it. This is the best treatment for asthma along with drugs.
You can give him honey with milk, turmeric with milk and tulsi leaves. All these are good for immunity.
And no need to worry for 10 th floor.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wishing good health to your son.
Thanks.