Suggest treatment for excessive bloating, belching and fecal incontinence while having chronic hepatitis

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have had loose stools off and on for years now, but lately it has been all the time. It is a light orange color. I have messed my pants a few times and on my sheets and have no idea it was there. It is foul smelling also. i have been having an awful lot of gas too. If I pass the gas bm comes out also. I had testing done for my gallbladder 2 weeks ago and go back to the Dr. April 8th. I had pain in my gut between my rib cages. I have hep.C since 1975. i had a blood transfusion and got hep B not knowing I had C also. All my blood works have been great. My tests are normal all the time for the last 5-6 years. I have had 2 liver biopsis all show my liver was healing itself. I don't know if I need to call the Drs. office and get in sooner than the 8th of next month...
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IBS likely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Loose stools for more than a year with normal work up, excessive bloating and belching, with mild fecal incontinence, with history of chronic hepatitis C and B simultaneously are all connected. Liver get cirrhosed with passage of time and with hep c of 30 years its functions decline and bile is synthesized in liver and its production is decreased and leads to inability to digest the fats in food leading to loose stools.

These symptoms are classic for Irritable bowel syndrome and needs supportive care with diet and lifestyle modifications. Eat small frequent meals, avoid dairy products, fatty foods, spices, coffee, alcohol, beverages, processed and canned foods etc. prefer fiber , peppermint, yogurt and fluids. Supportive care is all one can do in such cases.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Thank you for your answer but I want to know if I need to call my Dr. and get in sooner than April 8th.? i do not have any cirrosis of my liver at all. My enzymes for my liver are all normal so I'm thinking it's my gallbladder having a disease. Years ago my gallblader had sludge in it, so maybe I have a duct being blocked. My hep. B I had for 20 years and finially went away back around 2004...My Dr.s ask me all the time if I'm sure if I hep. c.... Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can wait

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

None of the above mentioned symptoms are worrisome enough to call a doctor before 8th of april. For diarrhea supportive care mentioned above would suffice. Its good that liver is not cirrhosed. Gallbladder sludge does not give diarrhea, it presents as pain in upper abdomen.

Your symptoms are suggestive of irritable bowel syndrome and gallbladder functions may reduce with that. If the pain is severe , or the color of skin gets yellowish or symptoms worsen, then you may call your doctor earlier.

I hope it helps.
Khan