Suggest treatment for excessive alcohol dependence

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: my dad was being treated with alcoholism and his nature of fighting for no reason.

first he was given haloperidol 0.5 mg, neocalm 30 mg..fluxetine 20 mg and 50mg topamax for about 2 months. then he was given baclofen 10 mg and stablon 12.5mg threw time a day...and one pill to give sleep in night since last three months...he did not drink for last three months...but suddenly he started drinking since last 2-3 days. and his behaviour of fighting has also came back.

what may be the reason and what should we do?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol dependence is a relapsing condition.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM,
I understand your concerns for your father.

Alcohol dependence is a relapsing condition. The patient tends to relapse back to drinking with or without treatment. It is very important that patient is kept motivated after he quits drinking.

The reason for relapse may be even a minor/major life stressor, peer pressure, a party or working environment.
It is important that the reason must be identified and worked upon.

I think you must visit your psychiatrist again. Drug treatment in collaboration with psychological treatment (like motivation enhancement therapy) is must for him to prevent relapse.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.