Suggest treatment for excessive abdominal bloating and shoulder pain after appendectomy surgery

Posted on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: day4 apendectomy surgery no pass gas. stomach is too big and bad shoulder pain. what to do to ease the pain.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ask your doctor to pass a flatus tube

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Since you are not passing gas your intestines have filled with gas and causing abdomen to increase. This displace fluid near diaphragm to cause shoulder pain.

To reduce this you need to do following things
- walk around slowly / normally based on your tolerance to pain.
- try to sit upright on the bed with a back support.
- ask your doctor to pass a flatus tube or PR examination which helps in relieving gas .
- take pain killer like aceclofenac (which I guess they must be already giving) .

Once you pass gas normally all your symptoms come down.

If you have severe abdominal pain then that indicates some fluid collected inside abdomen and you need to get ultrasound scan to diagnose. You may discuss this with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr Deepika Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon