Suggest treatment for excess hair growth on the body and irregular menstruation

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: hello doc. i am 20yrs. for the past 7 months i haven't menstruated. in the past years it has been irregular and used to come with abdominal pain. i am not sexually active. Also, no matter how i eat i don't get fat and my pulse is in the 90s and above. and i am excessively hairy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may be polycystic ovarian syndrome

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If the excess hair growth is male patterned (face, chest and back), this would be called hirsuitism.

The combination of excess hair growth and irregular periods may point to polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) though that condition is more common in overweight or obese women.

It is a benign (not life threatening ) condition and it is diagnosed based on history, blood tests and imaging (ultrasound to take a look at the ovaries).
If at least 2 of the following are present , then it is diagnosed, after other causes have been ruled out
:(1)polycystic (cysts in the ovaries) seen on ultrasound

(2)evidence of increased levels of testosterone. Women normally have a small amount, in PCOS, there is more than usual.
This can show up as increased hair, acne. Increased levels may be seen on a blood test as well

(3)irregular periods, long space between periods

BESIDES pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome), the other causes of irregular periods are : (a) problems with the thyroid gland
(b)high levels of a hormone called prolactin
(c)need to rule of issues with the growth hormone, a condition called acromegaly
(4)also need to rule out cushings-- the body making too much steroids

Bloods are normally done to check all of these plus to check testosterone levels. If these are ruled out then you may be diagnosed with PCOS

The use of some types of oral birth control, though you are not sexually active would help make your periods regular and also help with the excess hair growth. Diane 25, is very good for this.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Okay. But last two years I went for scan/ultrasound..but nothing was found. And I am skinny
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
diagnosis only needs two out of the 3, ultrasound can be normal

Detailed Answer:
HI

Yes, mentioned that normally found in bigger persons and you stated that you were small.

This is the reason that it is only considered if other things are ruled out by the blood tests mentioned

Also diagnosis of PCOS only requires 2 out of the 3 to be present. In other words nothing can be seen on ultrasound (it can be normal) but if the person has the other 2 (irregular periods and either high testosterone/ signs of high testosterone, like excess hair), then can still have PCOS

You may want to consider blood tests for the different hormones mentioned

Please feel free to ask anything else