question-icon

Suggest treatment for excess facial and back hair when diagnosed with PCOS

Posted on Sat, 12 Dec 2015
Question: I have been to see a consultant due to excess facial and back hair. They think that I have either Polycystic Overian Syndrome or Mild Congential Ardenal Hypoplosia following a consultation. However they want to rule out cushing syndrome. I have been told to take a dexamethasone tablet at midnight and to get the nurse in my medical practice to take a blood test at 9 am the next morning. Does the tablet have to be taken a midnight can it be taken at 11 pm or 1 am. Will anything effect the test e.g drinking fluid etcs.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Test

Detailed Answer:
In general midnight is the standard way to go about it. However I have advised my patients to take it roughly around midnight. For example if I know I can arrange for a blood draw at 8 am then I tell them to take the tablet earlier such as at 11 pm. Food or beverage tajen around that time does not significantly affect the test result
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist