Suggest treatment for eustachian tube dysfunction

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have permanent deafness the result of catarrh in the eustacian tube. Occasionally it unblocks itself, but sometimes it makes me very deaf
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

You are probably suffering from eustachian tube blockage due to mucus.

You may find relief by using following medicines:
Oral Decongestant like Phenylephrine and nasal Decongestant drops like Xylometazoline(not to be used if you have a history of high blood pressure, heart problems , blood vessel disease, chest pain (angina), spinal cord injury, kidney problems,Glaucoma-high pressure in the eyes),
Nasal Steroid Spray like Mometasone,
Oral Antihistaminic like Levocetrizine ,
Mucolytic like Ambroxol and
Antacid like Rantac if you are suffering from Acid reflux(in some cases,gastric acid reflux might be a cause for eustachian tube blockage)

Also do steam inhalation.Avoid cold food and bakery products as they increase mucus production.Drink lots of fluids(warm) as they help in break down and release of mucus secretions.Avoid dust,smoke and other pollutants.

Also continue with valsalva maneuvre(take a deep breath,then close your nose and mouth and then blow through your nose).

Considering your age,you might be having permanent Sensorineural hearing loss due to age related nerve degeneration.Hearing loss due to Eustachian tube blockage is Conductive hearing loss and is reversible.

After taking above measures,if there is no improvement ,then it would be advisable to consult an Otolaryngologist Doctor.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions.Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy