Suggest treatment for eustachian tube dysfunction

Posted on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, Today, I went to an ENT for a hearing test and a typanometry test because I've been has Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. All tests were normal, however, when I got back in my car, to my horror, I could not hear the radio at the volume I had listened
to it last night. Is this an effect of the testing? If so, is it temporary?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query.
It's just a temporary effect of testing.
In tympanometry, there is middle ear air pressure variations which can cause this. Do steam inhalation. Valsalva exercises will be very helpful.
Do not worry. Your hearing will be normal .hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 3 hours later
Thank you!! I was afraid the testing made my problem even worse. Both ears are already terribly muffled from the tube dysfunction and have been like this for well over a month. I've been given steroid injections in the nose and Sudafed. Steam is interesting--How long should I inhale steam everyday?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
steam inhalation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query.

Steam inhalation to be done for 5 to 7 min, 3 to 5 times a day, for 5 days. Valsalva exercises also is very important.

Hope my answers have helped you.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist