• question-icon

Suggest treatment for essential tremors

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Thank you! I am 70. Car accident brought on essential Tremors at moment of impact. I have no heart issues or blood pressure issues. Will taking a beta blocker harm me in any way. It helps debilitating tremors, but since my blood pressure and heart are okay, how will this affect me in the long run I wonder? It makes me tired, and a bit depressed and I have digestion issues when I take the beta blockers. I can only tolerate a low dose.
Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The low dose of propranolol is helpful and not harmful!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these essential tremors. The side effects of constipation, fatigue and minor signs of depression. The good news is that these lessen with continued use of the drug. If they should get worse, then we will consider switching the drug. However, propranolol remains the best drug for the management of essential tremors. The benefits far exceed these side effects.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Chobufo Ditah