Suggest treatment for essential tremors

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am a 63 year old male. I've noticed over the last 6 months that my hands and arms - particularly the left side- shake especially when I lift them or hold something. My Mom has been diagnosed with essential tremors and I'm wondering if that's what I'm beginning to feel. Is It?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. The complaint is known as intention tremor. Such a thing can occur due to variety of neurological disorders, such as stroke, alcoholism, alcohol withdrawal, peripheral neuropathy, multiple sclerosis, Wilson's disease, Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease, Guillain–Barré syndrome and fragile X syndrome, cerebellar disorders, certain viral infections, certain medicines, as well as brain tumors, low blood sugar, hyperthyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, insulinoma, normal aging, and traumatic brain injury. It is meaningless to scare you with such a wide array of possibilities but it is needless to say that it needs a thorough clinical evaluation. Treatment will depend upon the underlying cause.

Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng