Suggest treatment for essential tremors and dizziness

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was originally put on inderal la 160mg for essential tremor but that was discontinued and I changed to the generic propanolol 160mg have been having side effects like lightheaded/dizziness frequent urinating drinking excessively do you thing my gp would be able to cut the dosage at my request and what would you recommend for dosage for essential tremor
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lowering the dose should be considered by your GP.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Propranolol daily dose used to treat essential tremor varies from 60 to 240 mg/ daily, with the maximum dose of 320 mg/daily.

Since you are experiencing side effects, I think your Doctor should consider lowering the dose, since there is a possibility of control of symptoms with lower dose ( 80 mg, or 120 mg daily ).

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad