Suggest treatment for essential thrombocytosis

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I my blood counts have been elevated. At first it appeared to be due to splenic infarcts. I am taking blood thinners and Hydroxurea for high platelets. They were in Nov and are now 642-639 the past month. I went to see a specialist who did a JAK2 Gene test. He said the report came back as a blood disorder in the form a leukemia and that I need to take hydroxyurea the rest of my life. I was 1x per day, but now every other day I must take 2.
I was not told if it's life threatening or years to live? What does this mean? Will I live a normal life? What are the side effects? I notice a lot more joint pain.My XXXXXXX 20/2017 blood work showed
White RDW 18.8% (high)
Platelet 646 x E9/L (high)
absolute monocyte 1.1 x E9/L (high)
(reported nonspecific red cell changes and monocytosis).

On Feb 17 blood work...platelets were 639.

Again, what is survival/mortality rate for this disease? Will I live normal life/years? What are side effects of this drug and the blood thinners.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your life span will be normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.

It seems you are suffering from essential thrombocytosis. So this condition causes increase in platelets with formation of blood clots sometimes.

So to decrease the platelets, hydroxyurea is given. To prevent clotting, blood thinners are used.

If disease is well controlled, then survival is normal like any other person.

You need not to worry. Side effects of drugs can be allergy, diarrhea, joint pain or rash. Please continue the treatment.

Please upload your JAK test report here at the reports section.

Thanks and regards.
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 6 minutes later
thank you,
I will ask for the report. But leukemia is cancer. How can a cancer patient live normal life expectancy?
Brief Answer:
Hello. It doesnot look like leukemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. It doesnot look like leukemia. Please upload more reports so that i can give you more details. Till then no worries.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 days later
thanks. He did not give me the report. Only tried to describe what I have in simpler terms "the disorder is like a distant cousin/relative to leukemia"
Meds will increase/decrease pending my platelet count so don't go too high or too low (bimonthly blood tests).

I don't know what was meant by 'a distant cousin to leukemia;'
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. You need not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello again. So this essential thrombocytosis can very rarely may turn into leukemia, but that id as i said is very rare and that too after many years. Hence he sais a distant cousin. You need not to worry as its very rare.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng