• question-icon

Suggest treatment for erythema migrans

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: My husband removed an engorged tick on Tuesday and the site had a red circle around it by Wednesday. He saw the doctor on Wednesday and was prescribed a two week course of Amoxicillin. By today, the telltale bullseye circle appeared. Since it is after hours now, I'm writing to ask about a change to the inner circle that was the immediate site of the bite. It is turning brown and is very scaly and hardened. (My husband is a 77 year old man.) Is this change in color normal or something we need to have seen at the hospital? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Erythema migrans

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The rash your husband is presenting with is classical of Lyme disease, called erythema migrants.

Color changes, skin hardening ,scaling and blistering in rash area is normal. It is not to be worried about.Continue amoxicillin as prescribed.

Hope this answers your question
Pleaseaddress further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal