• question-icon

Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Men's Health
Question: I'm a 64 year male old in basic good health with slightly elevated blood pressure but I maintain an active sex life, blood pressure runs around 140 over 89 as my normal reading,
is saw palmetto counter active with Norvasc or Losartan which I take for blood pressure, I don't know of
any prostate problems, I've been examined by my primary physician last year, but I could use some extra
help with erections, It may be a mental thing, certain stimulations I'm not getting like I used too, my
doctor asked if I wanted Viagra, but is that safe to take with the blood pressure meds I mentioned?
I take a few supplements like extra vitamin C, D, and Co q 10 plus mega red supplements for the heart
so with all that is saw palmetto safe to add or even Viagra should I choose? thank you for your input.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no harm in taking either Viagra or Saw Palmento with Telmisartan.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

The problem of Erectile Dysfunction at this age is common due to following few factors
1) As the age advances there is fall in production of sex hormone (Testosterone) by 1%for every year .That leads to decrease sexual potency or libido
2) Age related narrowing of blood vessels resulting into reduced blood flow to penis
3) Hypertension

As regards use of Viagra or Saw Palmetto both these drugs do not contain Nitrate nor does have any interaction with Telesartan hence you can safely take it along with any hypertensive medication

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist