Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi. I am a 45 year old male in reasonable shape. The last week I have experienced what I can only describe as sudden onset Erectile Dysfunction. My wife and I have had consistent sex for 20 years. About 6 days ago after a longer than average and energetic bout, although I don't believe my penis received any trauma, I have been completely unable to become erect. I don't smoke. Moderate drinker although none since last week. I'm about 30lb overweight but I would consider myself to be slightly above average in activity--lots of walking. Healthy diet. No drug use. No prescription drugs. I am experiencing routine levels of stress. There does not seem to be any discoloration or bruising. No trouble urinating and normal color. No discharge. It has shrunk down into its smallest possible shape with the glans retreating into the skin. Swimming in an ice-cold river conditions. Other than a slight tenderness, I feel perfectly normal, except that several times this week as my wife and I attempted intercourse, I got no reaction at all from my penis.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think there is need of further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description I feel there is some internal injury which is leading to no erection at all for last one week. You have not mentioned about early morning erections which is one of the important information. If the early morning fullness is absent trauma is most likely cause. Sometime it is possible to get these issues even with minor trauma, small enough to not have any noticeable effect.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 26 minutes later
My doctor can't get me in for another 2 weeks. What should I do in the meantime?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

In my opinion there is need for investigations which include penile doppler and others. Since they can be ordered by a doctor I do not think you have option other than looking to another doctor who is taking care of other patients.

Rising ER is another option but I do not see any merit in visiting ER after one week.

To conclude it can be said that either see a different doctor or wait for your PCP.

I hope this answers you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.