Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi Doctor,

I am 45 years male completely teetotaler, vegan and keeping sound overall health but from last few months I've been apparently unable to get and/or keep an erection. However my Libido is still good.

This is actually affecting my personal and professional life. Need your help
Posted Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Sexual Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advised detailed evaluation...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are distressed about your erection problem. Erection problems can be due to various causes, for example, hormonal problems, problems in blood flow to the penis, high cholesterol, side effects of medication, vitamin deficiencies, etc. Also, in many cases of erectile dysfunction, psychological factors also play a major role in aggravating the problem. Stress, anxiety, depression, relationship problems, etc. can all influence sexual functioning in a negative way.

In your case, high cholesterol and vitamin deficiencies could be potential aggravating factors for your erectile dysfunction. To be certain what is the primary cause for your problem, I would advise you to have a few investigations done. I would recommend that you have a Penile Doppler, which is a very useful test to detect any blood flow problems to the penis. High cholesterol can often result in narrowing of the blood vessels supplying the genital organs, thereby causing erectile dysfunction. So, you also need to have your cholesterol and vitamin B12 and D levels rechecked. Checking your blood pressure and blood sugar levels is also essential (if not done within the last 6 months). You also need to have a neurological examination to rule out any nerve-related problems which could also sometimes cause erection problems.

Treatment is targeted according to the findings on evaluation. If there are any underlying medical problems resulting in the erectile dysfunction, then those problems have to be first corrected or controlled. If there are psychological factors as well, then addressing them and improving the person's self-confidence levels will also be helpful in improving sexual performance.

There is also the option of using medication which improve the blood flow to the penis and promote better erection, such as Sildenafil and Tadalafil. But I would advise you to have a proper evaluation done before you start any medication.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction 7 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your advice.

Would request if you can give me a prescription which I can show to a laboratory for getting the specified tests done.

Further as advised , where can I get the Peinel Doppler test done and what sort of neurological examination should be done and whom I should consult?

Would really appreciate if you can suggest some good Doctor in XXXXXXX or XXXXXXX

regards,

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions given...

Detailed Answer:

Unfortunately, there is no facility in this website whereby I can give you a prescription for the lab tests. A Penile Doppler (also known as Ultrasound Doppler of the penis) can be done at any reputed radio-diagnostic centre.

I would suggest that you consult Dr. XXXXXXX Mittal MD, Psychiatrist & Sexologist in XXXXXXX (Contact no. 0000) for further help regarding your evaluation - for the neurological examination and prescription for the lab tests.

Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist