Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction when suffering from diabetes

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm 60 yrs and Diabetic but under control with Gluconorm G-2. Previously, during last 5 yrs. I used Penagra and similar and then switched 2 Sustimax for sex (monthly once or maximum twice) and was having moderate response. (Sometime no respose). However, last December'13, I underwent Angiography (PTA) 1 staint and now continuing medicine Deplatt-75, ecosprin-75, atorva-20, repace-25, prolomet-xl-25 and is fine without any problem. For last 8months for obvious reasons I had no sex and also was not having any urge whichvI want 2 start.But without medicine I.e. sustimax or similar I won't b able 2 perform.Please guide and advise.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice to treat erectile dysfunction....

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Erectile dysfunction is commonly associated with diabetes and stent placement.

Penagra and Sustamax are excellent oral drug choice to improve your sexual problems. They are vasodilatators mimicking the effect of nitric oxide in the body the same way as nitroglycerin or other nitrates drugs. That's why you should not take nitrates when using Sustamax or Penagra.

It will take some time for the improvement to be set due to diabetes.

If no improvement, then, should consult with an XXXXXXX to rule out hormonal problems and take appropriate hormonal replacement therapy. If no need for hormones replacement, should investigate for other problems and to decide for other alternative treatments (penile implants/suppositories, etc.).

Further consultation with psychologist is necessary help improve the symptoms. Do not force yourself toward sex. Need to have more patience and symptoms will be improved.

All the best!
Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 6 hours later
From ur advice it could be inferred that I may occasionally take Penagra or Sustimax which is not that injurious at present juncture/health condition. Awating ur advice.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can use with following precautions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

Yes, you can use Sustimax or Penagra, but should not use nitrates drugs at the same time when you use it.

I advise to take them 1 hour before sexual intercourse and to stay laid down for up to 3 hours after intercourse to avoid hypotension episodes.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T