• question-icon

Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction post nephrectomy

Posted on Wed, 25 Nov 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear dr XXXXXXX Lasrt year my left kidney was removed because of my bladder cancer. Then my bladder went out of control bleeding blood clots then i was rushed to hospital At hospital doctors removed my bladder and prostrate im walking with a stoma bag now. To my horrir after coming from hospital i had no sex life even viagra tablets not helpin please help

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ED is due to injury to Neuro vascular bundle during surgery .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you recently have undergone surgery of Radical Cysto Postatectomy for cancer of the bladder and since then facing problem of Erectile Dysfunction .

To get ED after Radical Cysto Prosatectomy is known complication of this radical surgery and is due to injury to Neuro Vascular bundle that is involved in process of Erection .

This may last for 6 months to one yer and in most of the cases gets resolved gradually .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Hi doctor
I had my bladder and prostate removed in February this year. My kidney was removed in march last year. Im 64 years old and diabetic.
I explained my problem to my urologist and what he explained that during the removal of prostate and bladder there were tiny nerves which the can nt see thats also get removed
My urologist told me ill have the ED problem forever.
I tried the bimix injection which im not keen to take and i tried the pump which is not helping much.
Im feeling depressed sometimes because of this problem now its nearly a year and i dont see any improvement in my E
RegardsD
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
If the nerves are severed during surgery Ed problem will be permanent .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Normally during radical surgery for cancer of bladder and prostate every efforts are made to preserve the nerves or to avoid injury to these nerves but sometimes it is technically unavoidable to preserve these nerves that results in permanent problem of Ed.Your Urologist who has operated upon is the best person to explain you .

At the end we have to accept that eradicating cancer is more important than to preserve Erectile function .

You can try intracavernosal injection of Alprostadil to get erection and have enjoyable sex.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hi doctor
I tried Caverject injection but was very painfull. Are there any other medication for this ED problem
Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are no medication for this type of Ed .

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

You can explore with your Urologist regarding feasibility of putting penile implant to resolve this issue .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist