Suggest treatment for erectile dysfuncion

Question
i think i need viagra or something like that, the past couple years its been harder for me to perform,sometimes i cant get it up at all and others its just enough to start for a few then i loose my erection after a min or 2
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need some help from you first sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I should rightfully start by saying that you are too young to be prescribed viagra sir. Viagra is only prescribed to the elderly who have conditions that result in erectile dysfunction that cannot be treated. I am sure your cause is something more simple sir. Which is why I would now like to discuss all the possible causes, so we can better understand the cause and accordingly address it. They are:

+ Low testosterone levels
+ Performance-related anxiety (this is one of the most common causes in younger males who are worried about their performance, which in turn results in anxiety and either erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation, or both
+ High cholesterol levels
+ Obesity
+ Heart disease
+ Unhealthy blood vessels (especially narrowing of blood vessels due to a condition called atherosclerosis)
+ High blood pressure
+ Diabetes
+ Certain medications
+ Alcohol or tobacco use
+ Previous surgeries of the penis
+ Injuries to the spinal cord or pelvis

Please do write back to me letting me know which of these causes you think can be ruled out (eg. obesity, alcohol use, tobacco use, previous surgeries, etc), which will further help in narrowing down our search sir. Please do not get disheartened by the current situation, there is always a cause and in majority of cases it can easily be treated.

Looking forward to your kind response in order to help you further.

Best wishes sir.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for erectile dysfuncion 35 minutes later
im 6.0 ft 240lbs in good shape got a little belly though i have high blood pressure and take i think its linsinpril, cholesterol is @ 200 and diabetes runs in my family history, i smoke from time to time but never been an issue before and i have sopped taking the blood pressure meds to see if there was any change but no difference.not sure about Low testosterone and Performance-related anxiety not sure ive got nothing to prove married 12 years and shes the only 1 im trying to please. and stated before ive been working out for the past 7 months 3-5 days a week and stopped drinking alchol too.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Multiple positive factors sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Thank you so much for that information.

You have multiple factors that could contribute to your problem, i.e. hypertension, with a height of 6 feet and weight of 240 pounds your BMI (basal metabolic index) is calculated to be 32.5 which put you under the category of being obese, border-line high cholesterol and a family history of diabetes. As there are more than possible causes we need to first monitor each one of them to see which one could be the causative factor and whether it is one factor causing the troubling symptoms or all of them put together.

-Start by monitoring your blood pressure three times a day for the next week, if improper control is seen consider a change in your medication
-Check on your cholesterol levels once again and if they are found to be borderline high again then request your doctor to intiate cholesterol-lowering medication
-Check your random blood sugar levels and HbA1c levels to check on the possibility of undiagnosed diabetes as it runs in the family
-Work on a healthy diet by consulting a nutritionist and also introduce exercise into your daily regimen so you can start losing weight to prevent diabetes as well

I am sure your problem lies in either one or all of these factors. Please consult your family doctor to help address these conditions adequately in order to prevent a continuation of your current complaints. I hope you find my response helpful, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes sir.